About the architect
Lewis Cubitt, architect, was the third and youngest of a distinguished trio of brothers, the older two being the builders Thomas and William. Lewis was born in London in 1799, son of Jonathan and Mary Agnes Cubitt (originally from Norfolk) and probably baptised at St Andrew’s Holborn.
About his work
From 1841 Lewis set up his own architectural practice at 77 Great Russell Street. He designed greatly admired houses on the south side of Lowndes Square in Belgravia, though not for Thomas. However, the brothers remained close and Thomas continued to recommend Lewis to private clients as an architect who would attend diligently to their interests.